I took the plunge five years ago! Into novel writing. Into leaving my comfort zone. Into social media. Into taking risks. Into learning new techno platforms. Into rejection.
The plunge has been long and deep and quite bracing. But I’ll tell you this, I’m never bored. There’s always something that needs creating or writing or rewriting or platform-building or social media-growing.
Sometimes it feels like I’m just treading water. ( You’d think my thighs would be more muscular, LOL) Sometimes it feels like I’m riding the waves. And yes, sometimes, I feel like I’m drowning in all those decisions that an author has to make. Some big—like what to write next, which PR firm to hire. Some medium—does my bio need tweaking? Do readers read an author’s bio anyway? Some small—is this pic OK to post? Am I posting/tweeting enough or too much?
I took the plunge five years ago. It’s changed me in ways that would take another blog. ( Next week.) Five years ago, on a whim, I decided to indulge my secret desire—writing novels. What began as dipping my toes in the water has become a long swim in the ocean.
Here’s a super-condensed version of my Plunge Taking journey. Mind you, I’m a non-risk-taking introvert, so if I can do it you can too!
- Began writing a novel despite not knowing if I had the determination, perseverance, and inclination to finish.
- Finished writing that novel. I don’t remember how may rewrites it went through. A LOT.
- Queried agents. SO scary!
- Attended a RWA conference when I knew nobody. Anxiety central!
- Started website and blogged my ass off ( different pen name).
- Self-published 3 paranormal romance.
- Jumped into another genre—historical fiction.
- Got an agent!
- Wrote 3 historical fiction.
- Agent sent one of them out on submission. Got rejected.
- Jumped into a 3rd genre—erotica! Legends of Lust, Erotic Myths From Around the World will be published by Cleis Press January 8, 2019. My BIG lucky break!!!!.
- Created yet another website, IG, and twitter account.
- My agent moved agencies and was no longer interested in my historical fiction. Sad face.
- Query time…again. Ugh.
- Writing a historical erotica this summer. Click here for peek at a rough draft of the first page.
Sometimes, I feel like a fish out of water. Often I’m swimming against the current. Usually, though, I glide through the writing ebbs and flows and try to concentrate on why I took the writing plunge anyway. Because I LOVE writing. It’s my Zen—wait, I need a fish/sea metaphor—it’s my High Tide.
As long as my dreams aren’t floating belly side up, it’s a good day.
What did you endeavor did you take the BIG plunge into? Let me know!
Love & hugs, Autumn
Sign up for Alerts by Autumn. That way you’ll get in on ALL the giveaways I’ll be having leading up to and after Legends of Lust, Erotic Myths from around the World releases Jan 8, 2019. The first giveaway will be July 11th.