Add depth and complexity to your villain. Give them some endearing traits.
FUSSY LIBRARIAN ARTICLE
HOW TO ADD NUANCE AND LAYERS TO YOUR VILLAIN
1. Give the villain an endearing nickname.
2. Make the villain intelligent, clever, and analytical. A thinker.
3. Make villain a good father/mother/pet owner/ etc
4. Have the villain be a kind lover.
5. Make the villain’s love interest be genuinely good.
6. Have the villain be reliable…mostly.
7. Make the villain spiritual.
8. Make the villain’s doing bad things about business. He’s just doing his job.
9. Give the villain hardships. Even better, trauma.
10. Make the villain be understanding or sympathetic.
11. Give the villain a tough childhood.
12. Make the villain’s quest be about returning home.
13. Give the villain the traits of a Homeric hero. The traits are: having/maintaining their honor; physical prowess; having minions; caring about the wellbeing of those minions, and being the best at something.
14. Make Good Person try to kill the villain first.
Mix & Match!